Saturday, August 3, 2013

MD HEAT Race - Aug 3, 2013

View Dave Races the Trails in a larger map

The night before the race was a very short one. I was up until 1:30 doing laundry and getting stuff ready for the weekend. My original plan was to head directly to a family reunion in Northfield, NJ after the race. I got up at 4:30 because the race director wanted everyone at the parking area by 7 am. I got there by 7 and then ended up waiting for almost 2 hours after the shuttle bus ride into the park for the race to begin. If I had it to do over again I would have slept in for at least another hour.

The weather cooperated, to a degree. It rained, off and on. There were no torrential downpours but it was a soggy day. The rain helped to keep me cool and minimized my need for re-hydration. I took a rain jacket with me but I didn't wear it. It sat in the bottom of the bag I carried with me during the race.

It wasn't a very big field of participants, only a handful of them started the race walking. I walked with one of the few until we reached the first hill. At that point we caught up to another walker and I left them behind.

I passed a couple more people before reaching aid station 1, near the 4 mile mark. I paused long enough to grab a handful of trail mix. I passed a couple more people there and a bunch more on a very steep and rocky descent less than a mile after aid station 1.

One thing I had working in my favor was my fearlessness of water. As with the rocky downhills I didn't slowdown when I encountered streams. I didn't go to any sort of lengths to try and keep my feet or my boots dry. When I reached the river crossing I just powered through it. I took a few items out of cargo pockets and held them in my hands but unlike the half-dozen or so runners that I passed at that point I didn't take the time to take off my shoes and socks before crossing. The water was up to mid-thigh on me, at the deepest point. My boots were full of water when I got out of the river. I'm not sure how long it took for the bulk of the water to drain but eventually they didn't seem quite so water-logged.

When I got to aid station 2 one of the volunteers asked me how I was doing and offered me a choice: stop or turn uphill and keep going. I chose to keep going. I passed a trio of women at that point for the second of three times. They would eventually pass me again just before aid station 3 and then pass me a little after it. I passed three other people between aid stations 2 and 3, who did not return the favor.

I pushed myself a little too hard on the rocky downhills in the first half of the race. I took it a little easier after that because my left hip was starting to bother me.

At aid station 1 I grabbed a handful of trail mix and kept going. I didn't stop at aid station 2. I stopped for a minute or more at aid station 3 to down a small peanut butter sandwich and a small cup of Gatorade. In between aid stations I also nibbled at the food I brought with me (hard pretzels, raisins and almonds) and drank some water.

I had been to various parts of Patpsco Valley State Park before, for Quantico Orienteering Club. Some of the trails that the race course traveled were familiar to me but most of them were in the last 6-7 miles of the race. It felt a little weird sticking to the trail and not following other handrail features.

Early on I could see that I was close to a 18 minutes/mile pace. I pushed myself in an effort to increase my average pace to 17:06 but I never got there and eventually gave up on that goal as the pain in my hip got worse.

On the whole I thought the organizer did a very good job but that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement. I was annoyed that the race didn't start on time. It was scheduled to begin at 9 but didn't step off until 9:20. Also would have been nice if the race course had been just a little bit longer. According to my Garmin it was 15.3 miles or 24.6 km, even though it was billed as being a 25 km race. Nitpicking? Possibly, but that's how I feel.

After the race there was free food. I ate a foot-long hot dog (that I broke in two and split between two regular-sized hot dog rolls) and a piece of chocolate cake. I hung out for a little while after that until the shuttle bus back to the parking area arrived. I considered briefly sticking with my original plan and driving straight to the family reunion in New Jersey, after changing my clothes. After assessing how sweaty and muddy I was I decided to drive home and clean up before heading to the family reunion.

MD HEAT Race 2013

Time: 4:34:30
Pace: 17:56 / mile
Place: 155/180 (Overall), 29/31 (M 40-49)

Results: UltraSignUp

No comments:

Post a Comment